Corporate Responsibility Report
- 9 brands
- Over 4,600 hotels
- Almost 1,000 hotels in the pipeline
- Almost 100 countries and territories
- 86% of hotels operate under franchise
- 350,000 employees
- 2,219 hotels using IHG Green Engage as at 31 December 2012 – we now have over 2,500 hotels enrolled
- 157 IHG Academy programmes as at 31 December 2012 – we currently have over 250 IHG Academy programmes in over 47 countries
- Raised $545,000 for the IHG Shelter Fund in 2012
- Supported 10 disasters across six countries through the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme in 2012
Launched a carbon calculator within IHG Green Engage using the industry approved carbon measurement methodology we helped develop, which our hotels could apply immediately.
Strengthened our partnership with CARE to help provide strategic advice and guidance to our hotels in times of disaster.
Exceeded our three-year target (2010-2012) to reduce energy per available room by between 6 and 10% in our managed and owned estate with a reduction of 11.7%.
Expanded the IHG Academy to over 150 programmes and raised $545,000 for the IHG Shelter Fund.
Summary of performance
In 2012 we continued to make corporate responsibility part of the way we do business and to put CR at the heart of our vision to become one of the world’s great companies.
Our CR ambition is to transform hospitality for more sustainable communities and better lives. We work to find innovative ways to build and run hotels that can fulfil our brand promises, tackle the environmental and social challenges we face and create shared value for IHG and our stakeholders.
We continue to focus our activities in the two areas that make sense to our business and where we believe we can make the most difference – the environment and the community. We drive environmental sustainability through our online environmental tool, IHG Green Engage, and we create local economic opportunity, particularly through the IHG Academy, and we provide shelter when disaster strikes through the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme.
We continued to refine our strategic approach to CR, spearheaded by our CR Committee at Board level. In 2012 we focused on the global expansion of the IHG Academy, the activation of the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme, the ongoing roll-out of IHG Green Engage and our CR stakeholder engagement channels such as our online CR Report and IHG Planet CR Facebook page.
Over 2,500 of our hotels have signed up to IHG Green Engage, using the tool to support them on their journey to be more environmentally responsible and cost efficient.
We have over 150 IHG Academy programmes in 47 countries around the world and our vision is to have as many IHG hotels as possible participating in an IHG Academy. In 2012 we raised $545,000 for the IHG Shelter Fund enabling the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme to be activated to support 10 disasters across six countries providing support for our guests, employees and hotels in times of need.
Our stakeholders play a key role in helping us define and address our priorities. During the year we continued to engage with our stakeholders through a number of channels including videos, forums, meetings, individual interviews, surveys and through our websites such as our CR Report, IHG Planet CR Facebook page and our CR Resource Centre located on our intranet, Merlin. We also continued to distribute our ‘CR in a Box’ toolkit for our hotel operators as a quick and easy guide to enable our hotels to do more to support our CR efforts.
We recognise that we are on a journey and there are challenges we need to manage along the way; we see these as opportunities to further improve the way we carry out our strategy. In 2013 we will continue to focus on improving how we communicate our CR priorities to our broad range of stakeholders, drive environmental sustainability and have a positive impact in the communities in which we operate.
- Awarded the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) Gold Medal for Sustainability
- Awarded the Hotel Owners' and Franchisees' Transatlantic and European League (HOFTEL) Owner Friendly Innovation Award for IHG Green Engage
- Shortlisted for the World Environment Centre Award for Sustainability
- Awarded Silver at the Podium Awards in the category of Inspirational Skills Project
- Awarded Silver for Business in the Community CR Index 2011 and 2012
- IHG named in Canada's 'Green 30' list 2011
- Commended for ‘Best Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Programme’ at the Business Travel Awards 2012
- IHG has been recognised as the most environmentally and socially responsible hotelier in Australasia, after being awarded the inaugural Responsible Travel Management award (RTM) by the National Business Travel Association (NBTA) 2010
- National Business Travel Association (NBTA) CSR award
- 2009 Hotel Visionary Award from Hospitality Technology Magazine for IHG Green Engage
- 2009 CSR Innovation Award from Hotel Magazine
- Eco-lodging Award at the China Hotel Investment Summit (CHIS)
- 'Best Corporate Responsibility Report in the Travel & Leisure sector', Radley Yeldar 2010
- Worldwide Hospitality Award for best initiative in sustainable development
- Most admired leisure and hospitality company for the third year running at Management Today's Britain's Most Admired Companies Awards
- Condé Nast Traveller 2009 World Savers Award for Willard InterContinental Washington DC
Performance against targets and priorities set in 2012
We align our targets with our CR priorities, concentrating our efforts on the following priority areas:
- Environmental sustainability
- Sustainable communities
- Stakeholder engagement and public affairs
Meet 6% – 10% energy reduction target by end of 2012
Continue to grow hotels enrolled in IHG Green Engage to 50% of our estate
Enhance quality of use of IHG Green Engage at hotel level
Develop Green Meetings offering
Continue to drive the development and use of global CO2 standards for hotels
Continue to expand IHG Academy globally
In 2012 we extended the IHG Academy to 157 programmes – an increase of over 100 during the year. Over 160 hotels across 37 countries are involved in helping over 6,000 participants build hospitality skills and improve their employment prospects. Find out more about the IHG Academy.
‘IHG Academy Online Toolkit’ to be created for roll-out across all regions
In September 2012 we launched our new IHG Academy website, which includes a toolkit to help our hotels on their journey to become an IHG Academy. Visit www.ihgacademy.com
Online process for donation requests set up and communicated
IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme fundraising events in each region
In 2012 we raised $545,000 compared to our target of $150,000 for our IHG Shelter Fund enabling us to respond quickly to disasters. Our hotels and corporate offices held a total of 198 fundraising events including a global ‘Race Around the World’ event. Find out more on the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme.
Pilot involvement with social enterprise in the six host boroughs of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games
Our first Call for Collaboration in August 2012 looked at the legacy of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. We wanted to find a social enterprise to collaborate with that could help our hotels and corporate offices in the six Olympic boroughs strengthen their contribution to economic and social regeneration as part of the London 2012 legacy. The winning social enterprise was Actiondog, a Community Interest Company that uses creative projects to provide training and opportunities for disadvantaged young people in and across London. Read more on the CR Innovation Fund pilot.
Further refine our key CR policies
We reviewed our CR policies during 2012 and determined that no further updates were required. View our CR policies
IHG Owners Association agreement on making IHG Green Engage a brand standard
In 2012 we were focused on the continued roll-out of IHG Green Engage across our global estate. In 2012 we'll be working closely with the IHG Owners Association to further embed the platform. Our aim is to have our entire estate tracking, managing and reporting its environmental impact over time.
To be reported on later in 2013
Implementation plans and budgets in place for agreed CR elements in Brand Plans
We will be continuing to focus on rolling out our 3 core programmes across all our brands and have allocated budget to support the delivery of this objective during 2013.
To be reported on later in 2013
Continue to engage with our stakeholders through our refined stakeholder engagement process and channels
We continued to engage with our stakeholders through a variety of formats and channels, with a particular focus on encouraging dialogue through social media. Read more on our stakeholder channels.
Continue to update the Innovation Hotel with new case studies and feed learning into IHG Green Engage
Launch a video to communicate the results of IHG's economic impact study
We launched our new Economic Impacts video to communicate the results of IHG's economic impact study. Watch our new video.
Increase Facebook fans to 6,000-10,000 by the end of 2012
Ensure alignment between CR and public policy
Being a responsible business and engaging in public policy are deeply connected. All of our public policy positions are consistent with our business priorities brands, people and delivery, underpinned by responsible business. Specific aspects of our public policy work, for example, carbon legislation, are focal points because of the expertise we have gained through our corporate responsibility agenda.
Refresh CR training so our internal stakeholders are kept informed and updated
This objective has been refocused to concentrate on working with our central HR training team to ensure CR is embedded in IHG's new General Manager training and our corporate induction processes
To be reported on following year end.