Our stakeholder channels
Key stakeholder engagement achievements in 2012
- Continued to engage with our stakeholders through our refined stakeholder engagement process and channels
- Exceeded our ‘IHG Planet CR’ Facebook fans target of 6,000-10,000, with over 20,000 fans by the end of 2012
- Launched a video to communicate the results of IHG’s economic impact study.
Key stakeholder engagement objectives 2013
- Raise awareness of our new external impact targets across our three core programmes – IHG Academy, IHG Green Engage and the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme. Read our press release to find out more.
- Increase awareness of our approach to CR across internal and external stakeholder groups, and continue to share updates on each of our programmes
- Get more people engaged with our IHG Planet CR Facebook page, particularly around our three core programmes
- Review our Corporate Responsibility Report in light of the new Global Reporting Initiative G4 guidelines
- Engage with a broader cross-section of our owners in public policy.
We have a large number of stakeholders, both internal and external. They give us a wide-ranging perspective on IHG, helping us choose our priorities and create shared value for our business and stakeholder groups. That is why they are so important to us.
We engage with stakeholders through a variety of channels, including social media, forums, meetings, individual interviews, surveys, conferences and our award-winning online CR report. In 2012 we continued to focus on stakeholder engagement through our refined stakeholder engagement process and channels.
In 2012 we concentrated on building a two-way dialogue with our stakeholders through our ‘IHG Planet CR’ Facebook page and by launching other social channels such as Twitter and Pinterest. Our social channels enable us to raise awareness of our CR programmes and update people on our latest initiatives, events and achievements in a direct and dynamic way. More importantly, these channels allow our online followers to share their views with us and help us with our mission to promote positive social and environmental change. During 2012 our Facebook community grew to over 20,000 fans.
Help us make a difference and start driving change, visit IHG Planet CR – www.facebook.com/IHGCorporateResponsibility
Updating our employees and hotel operators on what we’re doing is an important aspect of helping us achieve our objectives. Our ‘Resource Centre’ on our company intranet, Merlin, keeps our corporate employees and hotel operators up to date with our programmes. A suite of downloadable tools means they have our key resources to hand too.
We also worked with the IHG Owners Association to produce a 'CR in a Box' toolkit. This quick and easy guide helps hotels do more to support our CR efforts through 'how to' guides, videos and other downloadable material. Throughout the year we've been developing tools to help our operators get more involved in our programmes such as the IHG Academy Toolkit, which is available from the IHG Academy website, and the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme Fundraising pack which is available to download online from the Shelter website. We're also using our CR Report and social channels to help communicate their environmental and community achievements.
To further get our message across we developed a series of animated videos aimed at raising the awareness and understanding of our key programmes in a fun and engaging way. Our latest video, launched in 2012 communicates the results of our economic impact study, in collaboration with Oxford Economics. All of our videos are available on YouTube.
In May 2012 we held a Green Day at our corporate office in Denham, UK, organised by the Denham Green Team.
Read Denham becomes green engaged case study.
In December 2012, we held an investor breakfast for new and existing shareholders to update them on our CR approach, key programmes and priorities.
We will continue to provide regular updates through our online CR report. The report attracts roughly 7,000 visits a month and is an important source of stakeholder feedback, which in turn drives our strategy.