Being a responsible business cannot be achieved without the support and active engagement of IHG colleagues all around the world.
They are fundamental to the delivery of our different brand experiences and to fulfilling the brand promise for our guests. By ensuring that our colleagues do business in a responsible way, they enhance the reputation of IHG and its brands.
Our leaders at IHG work to create an environment where everyone is heading in the same direction, completely aligned and committed. They attract, develop, motivate and retain great talent to work in all parts of IHG. Leading by example, they deliver competitive advantage in a responsible way and ensure that all individuals understand the value of doing business responsibly.
We ask employees in our corporate offices and managed hotels to live our Winning Ways, a set of behaviours and values which define how we expect them to interact with guests and colleagues.
In turn, we offer employees our commitment to develop their careers, keep them involved in the business, and reward and recognise them for their contributions.
As part of this pledge, we provide colleagues with a range of resources such as online development tools. We help our hotels and owners develop employees, increase performance and improve guest satisfaction through a series of learning tools tailored for specific brands.
Understanding how engaged employees feel is intrinsic to how we operate our business and it is measured through our employee engagement survey. Asking for, and acting on feedback on how we can make IHG a great place to work, has led to year on year increases in employee engagement. In 2016, our employee engagement survey generated an all-time high score of 88.7%.
Having a predominantly franchised estate means that most of the people who work at IHG branded hotels are not employed by IHG.
As at 31 December, 2016, IHG employed the following:
- 6,587 people worldwide (including those in our corporate offices, central reservations offices and owned hotels (excluding those in a category below)), whose costs were borne by the Group.
- 5,434 people who worked directly on behalf of the System Fund and whose costs are borne by the System Fund.
- 22,002 General Managers and, (in the US predominantly) other hotel workers, who work in managed hotels, who have contracts or letters of service with IHG and whose costs are borne by those hotels.
- Further enhance our approach to learning delivery, by leveraging new technology channels.
- Implement a comprehensive employee engagement survey that is designed to capture colleague feedback across the whole employee career journey at IHG.