Being a responsible business cannot be achieved without the support and active engagement of the colleagues in our hotels. They are fundamental to the delivery of our different brand experiences and to fulfilling our brand promises for guests.
Our leaders work to create an environment where more than 350,000 colleagues are completely aligned and committed. They attract, develop, motivate and retain great talent to work in all parts of IHG®, helping to achieve a strong culture, which is one of our competitive advantages.
We ask employees in our corporate offices and managed hotels to live our Winning Ways, a set of behaviours and values which define how we expect them to interact with guests and colleagues.
In turn, we offer employees our commitment to develop their careers, keep them involved in the business, and reward and recognise them for their contributions.
As part of this pledge, we provide colleagues with a range of resources such as online development tools and access to the Harvard Business Review. We help our hotels and owners develop employees, increase performance and improve guest satisfaction through a series of learning tools tailored for specific brands.
A motivated workforce is crucial to the winning culture at IHG and we pride ourselves on listening to employees so that we are always improving. In 2016, our employee engagement survey generated a record 88 per cent overall engagement score, with 97 per cent of colleagues participating.
As our business model predominantly focuses on franchising hotels, most of the people who work at IHG branded hotels are not IHG employees. As at 31 December, 2015, IHG employed the following:
- 7,311 people worldwide (including those in our corporate offices, central reservations offices and owned hotels (excluding those in a category below)), whose costs were borne by the Group.
- 5,416 people who worked directly on behalf of the System Fund and whose costs are borne by the System Fund.
- 706 General Managers who work in our managed hotels and whose costs are borne by those hotels.
- 19,746 other hotel workers who work in our managed hotels who have contracts or letters of service with IHG and whose costs are borne by those hotels.
- Maintain our strong culture and high levels of employee engagement.
- Develop leaders to maximise individual and team performance.
- Grow the talent pipeline for key hotel and corporate positions.