We have comprehensive Group-wide policies on key Responsible Business issues, including:
We regularly review our policies and implementation procedures to ensure we continue to meet best practice in these areas. Our focus in the coming year will be on refining policies and rolling them out across the Group.
In addition to our policies, we have a clear position regarding gambling in IHG hotels.
Code of Conduct
At IHG, doing business responsibly is a core part of our culture. It underpins our entire strategy and our commitment to providing True Hospitality for everyone.
The IHG Code of Conduct (Code) supports all of us in making the right decisions. It sets out the principles we must all work by at IHG, wherever we are in the world. It also provides guidance on where to go if colleagues are faced with a difficult issue and need further help.
The Code is applicable to all our Directors, officers and employees. It is reviewed and approved annually by the Audit Committee and was last updated in 2017.
You can view our Code of Conduct here.
Approach to Tax
We have a global approach to tax that is consistent with IHG’s broader commitments of doing business responsibly and upholding the highest ethical standards. Read our full Approach to Tax document.
We acknowledge our responsibility to respect the environment and manage our impacts for the benefit of the communities in which we operate, and we are committed to measuring and managing those impacts and finding innovative ways to reduce them. We will:
- implement sound environmental practices in the design, development and operation of our hotels.
- encourage the development and integration of sustainable technologies.
- endeavour to reduce our use of energy and water, and re-use and recycle the resources consumed by our business wherever practical.
- engage our customers, colleagues, hotel owners, suppliers and contractors in our efforts to protect the environment.
- provide the training and resources required to meet our objectives.
- monitor, record and benchmark our environmental performance on a regular basis.
- make business decisions that take these commitments into account.
- communicate our policies, practices and programmes to all our stakeholders.
At IHG, we are committed to respecting human rights, in accordance with international human rights standards. Our Human Rights Policy sets out the core principles that we embed into our policies and processes to uphold our commitment. Our approach is also informed by the Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, the UN Global Compact and the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
We understand the importance of ensuring that the human rights of all our colleagues, guests and communities are protected, and will encourage those we do business with including our suppliers, owners and franchisees, to prevent, mitigate and address adverse impacts on human rights. However, where we have caused or contributed to adverse human rights impacts, we are committed to providing effective remedy.
We recognise that human rights due diligence is an ongoing commitment. We continue to review and develop our policies and processes in support of this by focusing on key risk areas, but also those areas where IHG has an opportunity to help develop and influence the protection of human rights.
- Labour practices;
- Forced labour;
- Child rights;
- Freedom of association and collective bargaining;
- Safety and security;
- Diversity and inclusion;
- Human trafficking;
- Community and environment;
- Franchised operations; and
- Responsible procurement.
For more details, our Human Rights policy is available to download in English and Spanish
Diversity and Inclusion
IHG is a global business with a global outlook. Working in hotels and offices in more than 100 countries, our colleagues represent multiple nationalities, as well as the many cultures, religions, races, sexual orientation, backgrounds and beliefs that make the world such an interesting place. It makes for a diverse and inclusive culture we’re proud of, and it’s why our purpose is to provide True Hospitality for everyone.
We’re a business all about people – over 400,000 colleagues who together create a diverse and inclusive culture that’s valued by millions of guests staying in our hotels, thousands of owners investing with us, and the talent of tomorrow who choose to work with us. We just wouldn’t be able to achieve great things if we were all the same. D&I is crucial to who we are, how we work together and how we grow our business.
We are committed to active involvement in the local communities around our hotels and corporate offices. That means being a valued, responsible community partner by ensuring that our business objectives enhance the quality of life in the community.
The aim of our community investment is to support global efforts that represent the business goals of IHG and which make a positive difference to the communities in which we operate. The activities we support must be aligned with our corporate values and our Code of Conduct.
Who we support
At a corporate level, we focus on:
- The environment – we understand our responsibility to respect the environment and manage its impacts for the benefit of the communities in which we operate (e.g. energy, waste and water savings).
- Local economic opportunity – we support the development of sustainable opportunities in the community, especially in terms of education and skills training to enhance employment opportunities in the hospitality industry, predominantly through the IHG Academy.
- Disaster relief – we are committed to helping provide disaster relief when natural and man-made disasters affect our hotels and the local communities surrounding them.
In choosing which community organisations to support, primary consideration is given to requests that meet the following criteria:
- exhibit a clear purpose and defined need in one of IHG's three areas of focus.
- recognise innovative approaches in addressing the defined need.
- demonstrate an efficient organisation and detail the organisation's ability to follow through on its proposal.
- explain clearly the benefits to IHG and our hotel communities.
At local level, our approach is to encourage our local managers and employees to use this policy as a common sense guide in deciding what is right for their community, while ensuring that all decisions conform to our Code of Ethics.
Our approach to charitable giving
Contributions are only made to organisations with verifiable charity status and whose ethical principles are consistent with our Code of Ethics and who align to one of our three focus areas.
We do not support organisations that discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, gender, age, physical challenge or national origin. In addition, we will not generally provide contributions to:
- religious organisations.
- general operating support for hospitals and health care institutions.
- capital campaigns.
- endowment funds.
- conferences, workshops or seminars not directly related to our business interests.
- multi-year grants; only the first year of multi-year requests will be assured, with support in subsequent years dependent upon annual evaluation.
- political donations of any kind.
Review structure and process
- Corporate donations are governed by the Steering Group of the Corporate Responsibility Team (CRT).
- The CRT draws on staff input to guide our 'Supporting our Communities' policy.
- The CRT recommends an annual budget for approval by the Executive Committee, sets policies, guidelines, criteria and strategic direction, and approves all contributions with Executive Committee oversight.
Our Supporting our communities policy is available to download in 42 languages
IHG Supplier Code of Conduct
To ensure that our suppliers act with the same integrity and respect as we do, in 2019 we updated our Supplier Code of Conduct (‘Supplier Code’). It sets out the requirements, principles and values that IHG has adopted to promote ethical conduct in the workplace, safe working conditions in the supply chain, treatment of persons with respect and dignity, and environmentally responsible practices. The changes have been informed by the Universal Declaration on Human Rights, Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact and the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights. We expect all our suppliers to adhere to these standards, both within their own business and across their own supply chains.
Our Supplier Code is available to download in English and simplified Chinese.
IHG cage free egg commitment
IHG has worked with The Humane League, a leading farm animal protection non-profit to commit to sourcing 100% cage-free eggs throughout our US, Canadian and European operations no later than 2022. This is part of an overall commitment to source only cage-free eggs across our entire global estate by 2025.
As of June 2020, 4% of the shell eggs we purchase in the US are cage-free. Across the rest of our global business in markets where cage free is available, on average, 25% of shell eggs purchased are cage-free. We have made training available to 100% of our colleagues around the world on our cage free commitment to help us achieve our goals. We continue discussions with suppliers to ensure a wider availability of cost effective cage free egg supplies in all of our markets and welcome cross industry collaboration to help achieve our commitment.
To view our commitment in 42 languages, please click here.
View our policy documents
There are currently no casinos at any IHG company-operated hotels. Some franchised hotels have such facilities, which IHG does not control. However, we require that hotels with a casino, or which have gambling, remain compliant with all applicable laws and regulations.